ASM Stadium plays host to England Women’s training session
Thursday, 30 June 2011
Thame United played host to the England Women’s football team recently, with Hope Powell’s side arriving at the ASM Stadium to train on the widely-praised surface culminating in a behind-closed-doors friendly.
Their arrival at the ASM Auto Reycling-sponsored stadium was in preparation for their recent full international friendly against Sweden. The success of their visit means that Powell and her side could certainly return in the near future.
Frank Thompson, Thame United general manager, said: “Certainly they are looking to bring the ladies’ team back here and even get the men’s U18’s or U19’s as well.
“I think it went really well and was nice to host a senior England team at the stadium. But it was a bit disappointing that people couldn’t come and watch because it was a behind-closed-doors match.”
The ASM Stadium playing surface is maintained by groundsman Paul Kuhn, who was recently awarded the country’s Groundsman of the Year gong by the Football Association for levels three and four of the football pyramid.
The setup and hospitality at Thame was praised by FA spokesman Glenn Lavery, who said: “We saw it as a good venue with a decent playing pitch and that is the reason why we chose the facility.
“The staff there were really friendly and, in terms of what we wanted it for, it was good.
“The women’s team might be back and I am sure Hope will recommend it to other teams.”
- Avoid problems when selling your car
- What is Gap insurance?
- Best used small cars to buy
- Best used SUVs to buy
- Buying a Write-Off Car: Pros and Cons
- Best used family cars to buy
- Guide to finding a replacement car engine
- Best used city cars to buy
- Does the steel market affect the value of your scrap car?
- Guide to buying replacement wing mirrors
- Typical tyre problems that can hinder the performance of your car
- The complete guide to scrapping your car
- The 9 most common car engine problems revealed
- A guide to accident damage repairable cars
- ABI updates vehicle salvage Code of Practice