Transport & Car Blog
With the recent cold weather, there’s no better time to take a look at your driving technique. Winter inevitably means more tricky driving conditions, from ice and snow to heavy rain - not to mention the fact that it’s dark by half-past four.
Here, then, are 10 great tips for driving in winter, straight from the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) and their chief examiner, Peter Rodgers.
Night driving is a unique skill and one that takes some getting used to for even the most confident daytime drivers. With that in mind, we thought it’d be a good idea to go through some of the most effective techniques and tips for taking to the road once the sun’s gone down.
This isn’t a technique as such, but it’s still important to the safety of you, your passengers and other road users. At night, you’ll need to make sure that nothing hinders your vision. Any kind of windscreen dust or dirt will limit how well you can see and make the darkness outside seem even darker. Annoyingly, i will also make any oncoming headlights seem brighter. Don’t forget to give your windscreen a quick clean before you head out at night.
Unless you’re a real petrol head – and kudos if you are – the chances are that you probably don’t spend too much time thinking about your tyres.
But did you realise that by ignoring them, you could be putting the safety of you and your family at risk? With the cold weather now starting to set in, we thought this would be a great time to take a look at winter tyres.
Three major car manufacturers have announced their intention to develop autonomous cars.
Ford has decided to double the size of its autonomous vehicle research team, with the intention of having a high-volume, fully autonomous vehicle operational within a car sharing service by the year 2021.
Last month, we brought you the first part of our guide on getting your car into sparkling, tip-top condition. Now it’s time for part two.
Follow all the steps in both our guides and you’ll be left with a car that looks as good as the day it came off the show floor:
Previous 5 entries | Page 1 of 48 | Next 5 entries
- Winter driving tips: everything you need to know about driving safely in the colder months
- Night Driving – how to stay safe on the road when it’s dark outside
- Winter Tyres – everything you need to know
- Major manufacturers announce autonomous car targets
- How to clean your car, part two
- New car sales edge upwards
- Cleaning Your Car – the complete guide to getting a sparkling clean vehicle, part one
- Research shows fleet reluctance to adopt alternative-powered vehicles
- The pitfalls of buying used cars – ASM’s new infographic
- MOT: the complete guide
- Motorists call for tougher phone driver penalties
- Confidential driver data was accessed by accident management firms
- Car makers seek to cut structural weight
- Registrations open for first driverless vehicle trials
- Parking permits increase to force diesel cars off the road