Two-thirds of drivers ‘unaware’ of new EU tyre labelling regulation, say Continental
A recent survey from Continental tyres reveals that as many as two-in-three motorists are entirely unaware of the new EU tyre labelling regulation introduced at the back end of 2012.
The ruling was introduced on 1st November 2012 as means of rating tyres for their fuel efficiency, grip in wet driving conditions and external noise. The investigation from Continental found that over half of its respondents (52 per cent) would not be influenced by the new ratings.
Peter Robb, brand manager at Continental tyres, believes the rating of tyres is a significant step in the right direction for manufacturers and drivers all round and predicts motorists’ awareness will heighten as the law becomes more commonplace.
“It’s the biggest thing to happen to the industry for quite a while and it seems to be passing a few people by,” he said.
“If you’re only in the market for new tyres every two years it could be a year-and-a-half before you’re exposed to the tyre labelling. I think if we did the test in two years’ time the awareness level would be quite high.”
A fifth of respondents to Continental’s survey admitted they found the tyre labelling confusing, while a quarter of those surveyed revealed they had other considerations to take into account when purchasing new tyres such as buying from a trusted dealer.
Many drivers invariably opt for price over fuel efficiency and external noise, with the cost of motoring as high as it has ever been. In order to secure a good deal some motorists are happy to purchase part-worn tyres from used car parts dealers.
At ASM Auto Recycling we proudly stock over 250,000 guaranteed recycled car parts including tyres. Those in a particular hurry for replacement tyres or any other car part can also take advantage of our same day/next day parts delivery service, distributed locally using our own fleet of vans and nationally via trusted courier.
- Buying a replacement car engine – what do you need to know?
- Buying replacement car parts – everything you need to know
- What to look for when buying wheel rims
- What to look for when buying brake pads
- Vehicle Tax: Your Complete Guide
- Top Ten European Driving Tips
- 10 top tips to keep the pounds in your pocket at the steering wheel
- The 5 most scenic roads in Europe
- Winter driving tips: everything you need to know about driving safely in the colder months
- Night Driving – how to stay safe on the road when it’s dark outside
- Winter Tyres – everything you need to know
- Major manufacturers announce autonomous car targets
- How to clean your car, part two
- New car sales edge upwards
- Cleaning Your Car – the complete guide to getting a sparkling clean vehicle, part one