Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership launches renewed strategy for carbon reduction on UK roads
As part of its 10-year anniversary leading the drive towards greener motor vehicles and the fuels that drive them, the Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership (LowCVP) has unveiled its latest strategy for reducing carbon emission on Britain’s roads and saving the environment.
At present, road transport in the UK contributes to nearly a quarter of the nation’s greenhouse gas emissions. The LowCVP is seeking to influence a sea of change to help the Government meet its target of an 80 per cent cut in emissions by 2050.
Andy Eastlake, managing director of the LowCVP, said: “The introduction of new transport fuels like electricity and biofuels means that we will no longer be able to rely solely on measures of emissions at the vehicle tailpipe to assess our true progress in tackling climate change.
“In the long term we aim to establish systems which will allow us to monitor progress on a full life-cycle basis, including emissions derived from the production, distribution and disposal of both fuels and vehicles. But over the next decade the use phase will remain dominant; the LowCVP will drive the focus towards better understanding of these impacts.”
The LowCVP certainly has pedigree in refining carbon and sustainability standards having successfully worked with the Government to monitor the impacts of biofuels as part of the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation, as well as helping to define beyond-tailpipe standards for the Department for Transport’s Green Bus Fund.
Carbon reduction for end-of-life vehicles is equally as important as on-road vehicles in a bid to remove substances that may be potentially detrimental to the wider environment.
At ASM Auto Recycling we ensure that all of our vehicles scrapped for cash are done so in line with EU legislation. At present we guarantee to recycle 85 per cent of all end-of-life vehicles processed in our modern 11-bay workshop and we hope to increase this figure to 95 per cent by 2015.
- What to look for when buying brake pads
- Vehicle Tax: Your Complete Guide
- Top Ten European Driving Tips
- 10 top tips to keep the pounds in your pocket at the steering wheel
- The 5 most scenic roads in Europe
- Winter driving tips: everything you need to know about driving safely in the colder months
- Night Driving – how to stay safe on the road when it’s dark outside
- Winter Tyres – everything you need to know
- Major manufacturers announce autonomous car targets
- How to clean your car, part two
- New car sales edge upwards
- Cleaning Your Car – the complete guide to getting a sparkling clean vehicle, part one
- Research shows fleet reluctance to adopt alternative-powered vehicles
- The pitfalls of buying used cars – ASM’s new infographic
- MOT: the complete guide