Category filter applied
Two-thirds of company car and van drivers have suffered some form of damage as a result of hitting a pothole in the last year, according to data from the RAC Foundation.
Almost 29,000 drivers made claims against councils for damage caused in the last financial year. According to the survey, over £2 million was paid out overall.
The government is in the process of planning the biggest set of motoring reforms since the driving test was first introduced in 1935.
A number of major changes have been tabled as part of a new consultation document, including the closing of test centres, part-privatising the practical exam, increasing the age limit for licence renewal and higher fees for motoring services.
The nation’s highway bosses have warned the pothole problem on UK’s roads has reached ‘crisis point’.
With further Government cuts to road maintenance possible and a severe winter feared the impact on the country’s already crumbling roads could be “catastrophic”, according to a local government transport head.
Motorists are ‘fed up’ with the condition of Britain’s roads and rising fuel prices and insurance premiums. That is the view of Motors.co.uk following a survey which revealed 82 per cent of drivers were disgruntled with the cost of motoring, endless postholes and continued roadworks.
According to the survey a third of motorists are making an effort to decrease their driving time, while three-quarters feel that the latest Government policies including the Fuel Duty cuts are not supporting them financially at the wheel.
The Department for Transport (DfT) has moved to pledge £100 million to local authorities in a bid to tackle the nation’s growing pothole problem.
Transport secretary Philip Hammond revealed the funding will be distributed in addition to the £831 million already divvied out to councils for road maintenance in 2011.
Previous 5 entries | Page 1 of 2 | Next 5 entries
- Buying replacement car parts – everything you need to know
- What to look for when buying wheel rims
- What to look for when buying brake pads
- Vehicle Tax: Your Complete Guide
- Top Ten European Driving Tips
- 10 top tips to keep the pounds in your pocket at the steering wheel
- The 5 most scenic roads in Europe
- Winter driving tips: everything you need to know about driving safely in the colder months
- Night Driving – how to stay safe on the road when it’s dark outside
- Winter Tyres – everything you need to know
- Major manufacturers announce autonomous car targets
- How to clean your car, part two
- New car sales edge upwards
- Cleaning Your Car – the complete guide to getting a sparkling clean vehicle, part one
- Research shows fleet reluctance to adopt alternative-powered vehicles