Category filter applied
New plans proposed by the Government will see motorway speed limits cut to 60mph, in order to limit air pollution near homes and schools.
The limit has been proposed for a 32-mile stretch on a section of the M1, following fears that pollution levels are damaging the health of nearby residents, while also in a bid to meet European Union (EU) targets for clean air.
Motorway drivers who hog the middle lane will face on-the-spot fines and license points under new laws which are expected to be implemented by the Government.
The prospective laws will give police the ability to penalise drivers for other poor driving practises like tailgating, queue jumping or using the wrong lane on a roundabout.
Motorway tolls will inevitably be the next method of government revenue creation, according to over half of drivers surveyed by the RAC.
55 per cent of survey respondents feel that the government will begin charging for motorway access in order to pay for improving the country’s road infrastructure.
Britain is to build its second toll motorway as part of a number of major road projects, according to reports in the Independent.
The Chancellor is likely to revive a 10-year old plan to expand the M4, in order to reduce congestion near Newport, Wales. This will form part of a new £3bn road building policy aimed at stimulating the British economy.
The number of road deaths on the nation’s highways this Spring fell by almost a fifth in comparison with year-on-year figures, according to provisional Government figures.
The Department for Transport (DfT) has revealed a total of 400 people were killed in reported road accidents across April – June in 2012, an 18 per cent reduction on the 487 recorded deaths for the same period in 2011.
Previous 5 entries | Page 1 of 3 | Next 5 entries
- Buying replacement car parts – everything you need to know
- What to look for when buying wheel rims
- What to look for when buying brake pads
- Vehicle Tax: Your Complete Guide
- Top Ten European Driving Tips
- 10 top tips to keep the pounds in your pocket at the steering wheel
- The 5 most scenic roads in Europe
- Winter driving tips: everything you need to know about driving safely in the colder months
- Night Driving – how to stay safe on the road when it’s dark outside
- Winter Tyres – everything you need to know
- Major manufacturers announce autonomous car targets
- How to clean your car, part two
- New car sales edge upwards
- Cleaning Your Car – the complete guide to getting a sparkling clean vehicle, part one
- Research shows fleet reluctance to adopt alternative-powered vehicles