Category filter applied
The Government has now re-affirmed its commitment for almost all cars and vans on UK roads to be completely zero emission by 2050.
The UK was one of 13 international members of the Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Alliance to sign a commitment as part of a climate summit in Paris, with the aim being to promote cleaner motoring as well as slashing transport emissions.
China has been cracking down on high-emission transport in an effort to lower the huge amount of smog evident in its major cities.
Subsequently, a vast number of scrapyards and recycling sites now contain thousands of completely abandoned buses, cars and trucks. None of the vehicles in the scrapyards were able to meet even the most lenient of emissions standards.
The UK has again beaten CO2 emissions targets, with the average new car in the UK posting emissions of 4.2 per cent lower than the EU-wide target of 130g/km.
The new annual report from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) has been published, and shows that carbon exhaust emissions in the UK have decreased for the 17th consecutive year and are now as low as they’ve ever been.
A green petrol, which will meet EU environmental regulations, is not as efficient as our current blends of renewable fuels, and could even cause an increase in CO2 exhaust emissions, according to tests carried out by What Car? magazine.
The E10 fuel contains 10 per cent bio-ethanol and is being rolled-out across the UK as part of the Government’s commitment to reducing carbon emissions; aligned with the EU’s Renewable Energy Directive which requires 10 per cent of road transport energy to be sourced from renewable sources by 2020.
Owners of electric cars should be able to park on yellow and red lines, and for free, a leading thinktank has said.
The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) thinks that electric cars should use a ‘green badge’ system, similar to the blue variety used by disabled drivers. It is hoped that consumers would be encouraged to trade-in their conventional vehicles for more energy efficient alternatives.
Previous 5 entries | Page 1 of 3 | Next 5 entries
- Vehicle Tax: Your Complete Guide
- Top Ten European Driving Tips
- 10 top tips to keep the pounds in your pocket at the steering wheel
- The 5 most scenic roads in Europe
- Winter driving tips: everything you need to know about driving safely in the colder months
- Night Driving – how to stay safe on the road when it’s dark outside
- Winter Tyres – everything you need to know
- Major manufacturers announce autonomous car targets
- How to clean your car, part two
- New car sales edge upwards
- Cleaning Your Car – the complete guide to getting a sparkling clean vehicle, part one
- Research shows fleet reluctance to adopt alternative-powered vehicles
- The pitfalls of buying used cars – ASM’s new infographic
- MOT: the complete guide
- Motorists call for tougher phone driver penalties