Award-winning York roundabout a ‘work of art’
It may be one of the more peculiar awards you are likely to read about but a roundabout in York has picked up a gong as the holy grail of roundabouts, claiming the title of Britain’s best roundabout.
The roundabout which features Grade II listed Holgate Windmill, a working windmill in the middle of a 1960s residential estate, has been named by enthusiasts as the most picturesque roundabout in the UK.
The president of the Roundabout Appreciation Society, Kevin Beresford, has described the roundabout as “totally unique” and has joined a long line of previous winners including the BFI Imax roundabout in London and the Shepherd and Flock roundabout in Farnham.
Beresford added: “I’ve travelled from John O’Groats to Land’s End for the perfect gyratory and now I think I’ve found it.
“I was gobsmacked when I first saw it. It’s in such good shape it’s a work of art. It’s spectacular. It will take some beating to surpass. It proves that anything can go on a roundabout.”
The four-storey windmill is the last remaining mill in York and is currently in the process of being restored by the members of the Holgate Windmill Preservation Society. The 600-strong members of the society were said to be “tremendously grateful” for the award.
That got us thinking here at ASM headquarters about some of the most interesting roundabouts we’ve seen or heard about in recent times. Here are just a few to keep you going if you don’t live close enough to go and check out Holgate Windmill:
The Magic Roundabout, Swindon
One of the most talked-about roundabouts in the UK, the Magic Roundabout sparked controversy when it was first constructed in 1972. It was regarded as the fourth scariest piece of road to drive on in the UK in 2009.
A method designed to decrease traffic congestion in the city of Shanghai, this striking roundabout has solved the problem of pedestrians clogging up the roadways by introducing a double-level roundabout.
A classy roundabout transformed by architects in the Spanish holiday resort of Alicante to include a tram stop.
- Buying a replacement car engine – what do you need to know?
- Buying replacement car parts – everything you need to know
- What to look for when buying wheel rims
- What to look for when buying brake pads
- Vehicle Tax: Your Complete Guide
- Top Ten European Driving Tips
- 10 top tips to keep the pounds in your pocket at the steering wheel
- The 5 most scenic roads in Europe
- Winter driving tips: everything you need to know about driving safely in the colder months
- Night Driving – how to stay safe on the road when it’s dark outside
- Winter Tyres – everything you need to know
- Major manufacturers announce autonomous car targets
- How to clean your car, part two
- New car sales edge upwards
- Cleaning Your Car – the complete guide to getting a sparkling clean vehicle, part one